Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Memory comes and goes

It happened early afternoon today.

I had a thought, all day, about writing something on a particular political issue. This thought had occurred to me after I read / watched a news piece and formed new opinions of a famous author's works.

I thought at the time "I think I will write about this thought later, and in the meanwhile, I'll try to gather more information to substantiate this thought." So finally, earlier tonight, when I sat down at the desk and began writing out a piece on that thought, something very frustrating happened.

I forgot what it was.

I didn't forget the central theme of what I wanted to talk about, or the author whom I was referring to, but I forgot about the most important part, which is the reason that drove me to link the news piece to the author in the first place.

It has happened more than once in the past while, having an insight on a subject but not getting it down before it was too late. It angers me when I think that I might have had something potentially brilliant (oh, please) and I just blank out.

What also troubles me are the excuses that I use to opt out of writing these thoughts down the moment I have them; I'm always too 'busy', either eating or watching "The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer", or something like that. And it just pains me that this kind of laziness has hindered my ability to produce more literature, however amateur this kind of literature is.

But hey, who knows? Maybe that thought will come back in a while, and a majestic piece will be posted in celebration.

1 comment:

  1. This is just human nature. When you have that thought it was so vivid in your mind at that moment. You haven't thought of forgetting it. That was just a flawed assumption. That's all. Short term memory no matter how powerful it might seem is actually fragile. So don't be down with it. Get yourself a SOP. When that idea comes across, WRITE IT DOWN, anywhere immediately. Stick with this SOP a couple of times and you acquired the habit. Who knows what idea might end up with a life changing experience? Don't let them slip away. BTW, SOP = standard operating procedure.

    ReplyDelete