Friday, February 26, 2010

Shutter Island, part 2

After reading some reviews by the topic critics, I tend agree with those who liked the film whilst not loving it. Michael Phillips was especially harsh on the film, saying it is over dramatic and over the top.

I think I can relate to that. While the film was so well made and the direction (and I can't stress this enough) so well executed, I felt like something was missing. In the last post I mentioned that I felt it was Scorsese's best work. I agree with Phillips somewhat that the film was a bit over the top given the script and novel it was based on. The climax scenes were intense, the twists were revelatory, but for some reason, none of it was particularly mind-blowing in a lasting-impression kind of way.

In addition, I thought that one particular action involving one of the plot twists was a bit of a stretch. But that is not saying a lot, for a movie that has so many twists and turns.

Note that my criticism on the not-perfect film making (or perhaps novel adaptation) takes nothing away from my praise for the acting up and down the cast.

No comments:

Post a Comment