Sunday, March 7, 2010

Hurt Locker justice: Oscar 2010 Recap

So "The Hurt Locker", the war thriller praised for its non-preachy style and intense action sequences, has won Best Picture at the 82nd Academy Awards. Its director, Kathryn Bigelow, also takes the honors of Best Director.

Despite the fact that the film won film of the year in almost every film review board and major film festivals (BAFTA, Director's Guild of America, Chicago Film Critics Association, LA Film Critics Association, just to name a few), I sensed that there was still an air of inevitability that "Avatar" would take the Best Picture honors, being the winner at the Golden Globes.

So I breathed a huge sigh of relief, and then scream in exuberance, when Tom Hanks, in perhaps the fastest coming-on-stage-and-reading-out-the-winner routine ever, announces that "The Hurt Locker" has won.

Having only caught the last 45 minutes of the show, beginning at the point of the long interpretive dance to the songs nominated for best original score, I have to say i didn't miss much in terms of (however rare we find it) 'Oscar Charm'. One of the best speech was given by the winner of Original Score, Michael Giacchino ("Up").

It seems like the funniest moment of the show came again in the form of Ben Stiller, dressing in full Navi gear.

As for the Best Picture... I have not seen "Precious", "Up in the Air", "A Serious Man", "The Blind Side", or "An Education." And while "Up" and "Inglorious Bastards" are brilliant films and certain deserve to be on the list, I doubted that they were serious contenders to win. A real sleeper for me was "District 9", its message more subtle than "Avatar", its special effects quietly compliments a strong plot, and very emotionally engaging performances.

But I suspect every one of the nominated films are better than "Avatar".

Not that I dislike "Avatar"; I think it's a brilliantly made film and an absolute delight to watch. But James Cameron's sci-fi epic is no award winner. It has a plot that is beyond formulaic. I mean, even people who watches less than 10 films a year would find the storyline familiar.

To those people who say that with a visual effects spectacle like this, that the plot does not matter, I say: No, it doesn't, for a decent film, that is. But if a film were to win an award for best movie of the year, I don't care what kind of special effects it offers, the storyline matters.

As for best actor, I am ashamed to say that for a film goer, I have not had the pleasure of marveling at the performances of Colin Firth, George Clooney, Morgan Freeman, or the winner Jeff Bridges. I shall have an Oscar-nominee night and watch "A Single Man", "Invictus", "Up in the Air", and "Crazy Heart", all in one day.

Congratulations to Sandra Bullock. I have not seen "The Blind Side", but prior to this film, Bullock has never impressed me as a brilliant actress who would be mentioned in the same award category as Meryl Streep and Helen Mirren. I have tons of respect for Carey Mulligan, though.

One category that often confuses me is Best Film Editing. How is an Academy member supposed to weight how one film is better than another in how a film is edited? Are there standards or guidelines, or is it completely subjective to the member?

All in all, a good Oscars for me, and for women too. My favorite film of last year won Best Picture and Best Director. Congratulations to Kathryn Bigelow, and "The Hurt Locker."

I hope people will be flocking to the store (or clicking Netflix, or whatever way) to rent / buy this film.

No comments:

Post a Comment